Sutton Golf Club is situated on a prominent headland projecting into the Irish sea . Golf has been played on this links course since 1890 and the new club house is the third building of its kind on the site. The main feature of the design is the circular Joe Carr Room dedicated to the achievements of the club’s most illustrious member who was three times British Amateur Golf Champion, eleven times Walker Cup player and World Golf Hall of Fame inductee.
The building of 1000 sq ms is set down into a bowl like depression to reduce the visual impact on this exposed site and to shelter the main entrances. The changing facilities, administration offices and pro shop are located on the ground floor with the Members Bars, Dining room and Meeting rooms at the first floor level taking advantage of the spectacular panoramic views in all directions. The strong horizontal design emphasis purposely downplays the buildings presence when viewed from the course and as the low pitched copper roof turns green over time, the club house will blend even more effectively into the landscape.