The Gasworks is, as its name suggests, a brownfield regeneration development of a redundant gas storage facility in the city centre docklands area of Dublin. The 3.2 hectare / 8 acre site for this development lies within an area for which a detailed urban design Master Plan for renewal has been prepared. The development site had been in industrial use since the 1870’s. This part of Dublin city has seen extensive and rapid re-development in recent years. A new rail station adjacent to the site will accommodate the anticipated influx of both commuter and new residents to the area. The completed development includes 29000 sq m of commercial offices which serve as part of the European Headquarters Campus for Google. 645 apartments, houses and duplex units and 1500 sq m of retail space.
The site plan of the new development is generated from the existing contextual conditions and provides for residential and commercial buildings arranged either side of a linear concourse, having as its focus the listed “Alliance” gas holder building.
A glazed structure with a central open atrium has been incased inside the protected gas holder frame and accomadates 240 apartments on nine levels. The finish building is a striking visual landmark in the dockland precinct of the city.
The strategy for the site layout also takes account of existing single storey housing at one side of the site and a railway embankment at the other side with buildings ascending in height toward the railway edge. The residential buildings that occupy the majority of the site are sigificantly varied in their scales and types, from single and two storey couthyard houses along the boundary with existing low scale house to the north, throught to eight ad nine storey apartment bulding that present their gables to the railway line to the southern edge of teh site. Diverse and generous useable communal garden spaces are created between the residental buildings. Car parking for the development is provided underground on four levels, accessed by a spiral ramp within two tanks that existed on the site.